The Coastal Humane Society (CHS) is a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization, animal shelter, and companion animal adoption agency founded in 1950 by a group of Brunswick citizens concerned with the welfare of the area’s stray animals. In 1965, it was incorporated, and Bowdoin College Professor of English Stanley Chase served as its first Board president. Beginning as a volunteer-run shelter in an old barn not far from where the current shelter stands, we are now one of the largest animal shelters in Maine with a staff of 20 (including our own veterinarian, Dr. Mandie Wehr) and over a hundred active volunteers. We currently hold contracts with various towns along Maine’s mid coast, serving 75,000 people across 450 square miles. In animal terms, thats over 3,000 stray, abused or abandoned cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, chinchillas, birds, hamsters and guinea pigs we care for annually.