Our Sumter S.P.C.A. was organized in 1969 by the late Elaine D. (Sunny) Korn. Mrs. Korn was a great humanitarian who cared for and respected all life. Her perseverance, determination and dedication to animals transformed her S.P.C.A. dream into a reality when the current facility located at 1140 S. Guignard Drive opened in February 1976. Approximately 209,128 animals have been cared for and sheltered since that time. Our S.P.C.A. has also helped innumerable individuals with their animals and/or animal problems. Our Sumter community is urged to bring unwanted, abandoned, abused or stray animals to the shelter. Financial contributions are requested from individuals who bring the animals to the shelter to help defray operational expenses. Donations are greatly appreciated and are vital to insure the continuation of services to our community. Our S.P.C.A. does not receive any funds whatsoever from the City, County, State, or Federal Government. Our S.P.C.A. does not pick up animals. The service of picking up strays is provided by City-County tax revenues through the City-County Animal Control Department.